Thursday, April 11, 2013

The Bridges at Harrowgate

I'm going off in two directions at once again. While waiting for glue to dry on various helix assemblies I'm working on the lower helix approach at Harrowgate (Spruce Creek). This means joining the code 55 track to the code 80 at the helix "entrance". I installed a code 80 rail joiner on the lerger rail and then soldered the code 55 directly to the top of that joiner.The rail height of the code 55 with the foam ballast strip is the same as the code 80 mounted directly to the plywood...
Helix Entrance Level 1
Eastbound Connections Lower Approach










There is some maneuvering to get around the support posts, but I tried to make sure those curves were at least 18' radius.

As I mentioned before, this area is a representation of the east portals of the Spruce Creek tunnels, but the direction is reversed. It was the only way to create this scene in the space left after the helix was installed...
Juniata River at Harrowgate (Spruce Creek)

I had to modify the benchwork in this corner of the layout quite a bit. The river bed is at the same level as the  bottom of the 2" x 4" frame. I had to cut the frame and install 1" thick boards in the gaps to maintain the integrity. I also installed an additional leg under the frame (there are now three in this small area) to make sure everything stayed where it's supposed to be...
Modified Benchwork
To get an idea of what this area could look like I mocked up eastbound mains, the tunnel portals, bridges and river basin. I used nylon window screen for the temporary terrain, stapling it to the benchwork. The westbound mains run along the opposite river bank, but I haven't included them yet. The bridges are thrown together from Atlas kits. They are probably too high, but that can be easily changed. They also need to be widened for double track. The mountains will have to be taller, about 24" above the railhead, but the mockup shows the general idea.
Harrowgate Looking East
Harrowgate Looking West










I still have to work out the horizontal separation between the uninstalled westbound mains and the tracks above at Tunnel Hill (Gallitzin).

It looks like this area will be the first to have scenery. Considering all the rigamaroll on the layout up 'til now, this could get interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment