Monday, April 15, 2013

Refining the Process

First off I want to show you how this revision of the All East got started. I wasn't happy with the approach to Kittanning Curve, so I cut it out. Trying to replace it with something I liked I found that just cutting a new section of plywood wasn't gonna do it for me. I wanted a smooth flowing reverse curve. I remembered some previous experiments and Voila...
Kittanning Approach Old (right) Versus New (left)


I've received several encouraging messages on this stryospline idea. There were some questions and these prompted questions of my own...

Does the spline sag over time?
While I can't answer that for sure, I do know that the splines are stiff horizontally and since styrofoam is rather inert, it isn't affected by normal temperature and moisture. Here in the south exrtruded styrofoam is used as a replacement for wood sheathing on your house. It seems to hold up to a huge differences in temp and moisture.

How far apart should the supports be?
I tested the strength of the splines using the one foot spacing I intend to use. I know from previous versions of this method that a four track, or eight 1/2" splines will support my weight on a flat surface (ie: driveway) but how does it hold up on vertical supports?

So far only the spline set under Track 1 is laminated and waiting for ballast strip. I used the section at McGarvey for the test. It's a long left hand curve. The test was done with supports temporaily placed under the roadbed and spaced 12" apart. Neither the supports or the roadbed is fastened in place they are just laying on top of the benchwork....
Section of Roadbed at McGarveys

I then took one of my trusty bolt buckets and weighed it with a bathroom scale. Weighs a bit over 10 pounds (feels a lot heavier to me)...
10 Pound Bucket O' Bolts
I promptly placed it down on the roadbed. There was deflection...
Deflection at 10 Pounds

OK so let's go heavier. I found another bolt bucket that weighs about 16 pounds...
16 Pound Bucket O' Bolts

...and placed it on the roadbed. More deflection...
15 Pound Can O' Paint

"Let's go for broke" I said to no one in particular...I stacked the bolt bucket on top of a paint can...
25 Pound Stack O' Stuff
...and set the stack on the roadbed. Mucho deflection, but no breakage...
25 Pound Stack O' Stuff

I removed the stack and photographed the area after going through the test...

Aside from the imprint of the can on top, the spline set went back to normal.

Keep in mind that  this is a one track spline, the thinnest I use. It's composed of two 1/2" thick splines laminated together. All of the mainline is either two track (4 splines) or four track (8 splines). The spline in the test is not fastened down. If it and it's adjacent areas were permanently fastened in place the roadbed would be even stiffer.

I have purchased more 1/2" styrofoam to make sure I have enough for all the splines I am now planning to create...The stuff is starting to pile up in the aisleway at the "library"...
Foam Supply Depot

Several other things I want to show you.

The blue styrofoam comes covered in plastic. I don't know if it's meant to be a protective measure or a vapor barrier. Either way, I have a feeling this would prevent the glue from doing its job. I make sure I remove this plastic before I use the foam....
I remove this plastic before I use the foam....

I've also found a way to cut the foam quickly and accurately that doesn't involve a table saw (given to my son in law). I've lost track of the actual number of these rube goldberg rigs I've built so I just call it ThingX.

It's an 8' long straight edge purchased decades ago. I developed my own little "enhancement" for it...
ThingX Straightedge and Enhancement

I used half of an Exacto aluminum mitre box to create the cutter. I "accidently" cut the box in two while using it in an earlier Thing variation  I hammered the sides into a shape that "complements" the straightedge. I mounted a utility knife blade on the side with a screw and lock washer...
Sectional Drawing of ThingX Components

Business End of ThingX

The shape allows it to follow the straightedge. To use it I just set it down and slide it along...
Starting Test Cut

ThingX in Operation

The crazy contraption actually works. It cuts cleanly and in a straight level line and each spline is 1 7/8" high, which coincidently is exactly the thickness of the pink foam slab...
ThingX Cut

Armed with this new weapon of mass construction, I can go to town. The Keystone and Llyswen Yards are slated for demo. East Keystone will go with the yards...
Keystone
Llyswen Yards











I intend to reconstruct these areas with the 2" thick pink foam. Once the foam is cut and in place I will cover it with a fresh copy of the track plan. That leads me to another tidbit of information I checked out...Staples will print a hardcopy of the plan. The widest print they can make is 36". The length depends on much paper is on the printers roll. I can get the drawing printed out full size for $0.55 a square foot. All I need is money and a PDF file.

Back to work. There's a lot of cutting to be done.

Regards
Frank Musick
Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
Allegheny Eastern Railroad






No comments:

Post a Comment