Tuesday, April 16, 2013

"Daylighting" The Allegheny Eastern

I finished adding the guide channel to ThingX.1 and started creating some more splines. A bit of adjustment was necessary to get the width I wanted...
ThingX with .1 Modification Adjusted and Ready

 Once I corrected the issue I cranked things up. It took just a few minutes to make about 40 splines...
Stack O' Splines

They came out better than I expected. The cuts were square and identical in width.
Splines, At Right Are Two Made During Cut Adjustment

With the splines done I no longer needed to use Llyswen Yards as a cutting table...That was the first area cleared of plywood/foam roadbed. Keystone proper went next...
Grid Frame at Keystone 

After that I went after East Keystone and the old Blair Furnace area...
View of East Keystone, Blair Furnace From Harrowgate

Finally the entire Allegheny Eastern was bare frame except for the previously placed styrosplines...
The Agg: Daylighted and Waiting

Except for hauling away the bodies the demo is complete. Some fair size slabs of plywood/foam dropped to the floor . Soon they will rbe hauled to their new home at the city recycling center.

With the roadbed gone I took a closer look at the site of the Great Quake (Ranger/Boat/Rope incident). The  benchwork is pulled out of line, but I can loosen the big bolts and adjust it. Held up rather well. It does have me wondering about the casters. The thing is sort of mobile. Maybe it shouldn't be. Not gonna change that, however, there has been enough rebuilding.

I'm calling a moratorium on changes to the general track plan and roadbed construction from here on in. There comes a moment when you know you've gone far enough. It's time to crystallize the concept and get the trains running again. While there will be minor changes to sidings, turnouts and such the mainline is "frozen" to development. Unless we buy a new house, this is the Allegheny Eastern...
Allegheny Eastern: General Plan

So now the roadbed goes down for the final time and track construction begins. I'm looking forward to developing the scenery and building structures, bridges, and the rest. It'll also be fun to start working updating, painting and weathering the rolling stock and motive power.

Regards,
Frank Musick
Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
Allegheny Eastern Railroad


No comments:

Post a Comment