Saturday, April 13, 2013

Breaks Over

After my lunch break I went down to the garage and spent about four hours on the new roadbed. I found it goes together quickly. Using the sixteen pieces I had on hand I was able to make one track all the way up The Hill. There was even enough left over to do the helper loop and part of the eastbound back down to Sugar Furnace. You can "clamp" the laminations together by pushing drywall screws through the foam.

Not much verbal discourse this time, just pictures...
BO Looking West Toward McGarveys

Kittanning Curve

Remington

Tunnel Hill Looking East

Tunnel Hill Looking West


I haven't bothered to support it yet, the adjustable risers are not in place. I know this sounds backwards but it actually works. With the roadbed laid out and completed I can then adjust the elevation to provide a smooth grade up to the summit at Tunnel Hill and the helix. I can also make real alterations at any time using a razor blade and some glue.

There is one curious thing I discovered. Not only can I change elevation, I can also change curve radius and related horizontal positions. It's an adjustable roadbed that can be fine tuned and then fixed permanently in place.

Done for today. Have to cut more splines before I can go any further. I may even take the rest of the weekend off.

Regards
Frank Musick
Chief Cool and Bottle Washer
Allegheny Eastern Railroad

No comments:

Post a Comment