Saturday, April 6, 2013

Moving Along III: Backsliding

Before I start there is something I totally forgot in Moving Along II...

The length of the grade in the helix was based on the circumference of the 22" radius curve. This is the radius of the outermost track. Each level is almost 138" (pi times diameter or 44") of track length. The total track length of the entire curve through all three levels of the helix is almost 415" or about 35 feet. Since we are climbing to an elevation of about 8", our grade is roughly 2%. The number of levels required can be reduced or increased by changing curve radius.

One earlier variation of  the track plan called for a helix with a 30" radius curve vertically spaced 3" apart. Each turn of the spiral would have been just over 188" or almost 16'. 2 turns would have climbed 6" in 31 feet or so at a 2% grade...


Helix, All East Plan November 24th 2011
That helix would have gobbled up a huge amount of real estate so the idea was dropped. If I had the room, I'd make all my curves around 30", including the helix. As it is, the minimum mainline radius leans towards 18" which is still considered generous in N scale.

While the glue was setting on the helix base, I got caught up in other stuff like Easter, my grandson and reorganizing the garage. Things were in that state of mess where you can no longer function. I consolidated and sorted the items stored under the layout. My good wife has a color code system for her Rubbermaid "tubs". Each season/holiday has it's own color. I used the track layout as a storage plan, figuring out where each season should go. It also helped me organize the myriads of tools and God knows what else I have accumulated. While going through all this "stuff" I located some things I couldn't find. The tubing cutter for copper pipe for one. My neighbor needed one just a few days ago. I also found the stuff for washing the cars, so I decided the Ranger could use its semi-annual cleaning.

With all that "stuff" out of the way, I could turn my attention to the layout again...Well kinda. While sorting out the garage I had used the layout as a kind of miscellaneous bin. I had to work my way around the garage, taking things off the All East and putting them away. This was pretty straight forward until I came to the stacks of magazines I had been referencing. To put those away, I had to complete another unfinished project. I had started making and inserting dated cardboard dividers on the magazine shelves of the bookcase. I had stopped halfway through the Model Railroader section. I had to finish this up before I could file the magazines away. Took a while, but now I can look up any of my Railroad Railroad Craftsman, Model Railroader, or Railroad magazines by year. "Mucho más fácil" as they might say in Paraguay...
Magazine Section of Library
Library Under Llyswen/Juniata Yard










Once I got the magazines put away, I found some more damage from the boat/trailer/rope/Ranger incident. The entire Keystone/Altoona section had shifted and now there is a yawning gap between the yard and the city...
"damage from the boat/trailer/rope/Ranger incident"
Oh well.

While I was going through the magazines I found this MR issue from December 1966...
Model Railroader, December 1966
The cover shows MR's first N scale project layout, the Enfield & Ohio. All kinds of goodies, like how to modify models of Japanese prototypes so they sort of resemble American equipment. No American steam back then bigger than a switcher. The selection of rolling stock was also rather sparce. I think the only American road diesel available was a Trix F9.  I'll never complain about the lack of PRR models again.

I ended the day by putting another sheet of plywood under the foam that is under the helix base. Now I'm waiting for the glue to dry...Deja vue.

Regards,
Frank Musick
Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
Allegheny Eastern Railroad

No comments:

Post a Comment