Sunday, April 7, 2013

Moving Along III.5: Getting Serious

I wonder how they actually wrote fractions in Roman numerals? Shouldn't that be III I / II?

No matter...The glue from both layers of plywood has dried so I was actually able to go forward this time. Why two layers of plywood? Not to double up on the thickness, but to put a "bottom" on the foam. The posts pass through the base panel and are essentially anchored in the extruded foam layer underneath. The second sheet of plywood under the foam creates a kind of sandwich construction. Because it has no holes it stops the posts from falling out the bottom.

Alrighty then...

This time around I can actually get serious about building this thing. Now that I'm positive all the parts fit right I'm confident enough to actually glue things together. I'm hedging my bets though. I'm using tacky glue rather than woodworkers. A - It stays flexible enough for minor adjustments and B - If for some odd reason I have to disassemble it won't be impossible...
Spacers for Second Level Glued in Place
Cans of Paint Make Good Weight











To keep the posts aligned while the glue sets I installed the upper approach panel. I didn't want to install any of the other levels until I get the track connections ready. Once that next level goes on it'll be hell trying to work on track on the lower levels...
Upper Approach Keeps Posts Aligned

I also need "ramps" to form a transition between the helix and track level at Harrowgate (Spruce Creek). Based on experience from earlier incarnations of the All East, I formed the ramps from extruded foam. There are eight altogether. Four where the bottom level of the helix meets the base and four where the base meets the east bank of the Juniata River...
More Ramps to The River Bank
Foam Ramps at the Foot of the Helix











I placed the ramps in locations based on the revised track plan. The tracks and bridges sit rather far apart so the Juniata River can run between them...
Juniata River Bridges at Harrowgate (Spruce Creek)
Hopefully the river will be a tad wider then the creek in the drawing.

Of course to space the two sets of mains apart I had to make other revisions. At Tunnel Hill (Gallitzin) I had to saw off the roadbed for the westbound mains so I can use a tighter radius curve. You may be able to see the change on the upper level in the next photo. I also tore up the track between Harrowgate and East Keystone. The curve in this view was slated for revision anyhow, the superelevation was far too great and caused some locomotives to tip over. As always, I'm sure glad I nailed the track down instead of gluing it. Revisions can be readily made...
Mainline Looking East Towards Philadelphia

All these other revisions are part of the new EF (HOMER) "Layout Design Element" (I actually read those MR supplements) that replaces the crossovers at BQ (ANTIS) tower. The former Blair Furnace has been flattened and the track pulled up in preparation...
Looking East from East Keystone Future Site of EF flyover

Rather than using the cookie cutter method here I intend to use extruded foam splines. I used this at New Portage on an earlier version of the Allegheny Eastern...
Earlier Version of New Portage with Foam Spline Roadbed

In that version the eastbound mains climbed to 1 1/2" to pass over the New Portage branch. I used about 10' of foam spline on either side of the bridge. To support the double track I needed  4 splines made of the half inch thick blue foam. It was very easy to make and very stable...
Foam Spline Roadbed

As an aside, remember that HUGE helix I mentioned last diatribe? I found a photo from that version. Apparently I was actually going to create an oval variation. The oval is yet another way to extend the length of the helix while using less space. Putting straight runs between the curves creates distance while keeping the radius of the curve to a minimum. I guess it might be called a "ovalix"...
"Ovalix", May 17th 2011
This was before the new aisle and peninsula were created at Gallitzin.

Waiting for more glue to dry...

Frank Musick
Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
Allegheny Eastern Railroad

No comments:

Post a Comment