Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Things To Do While Glue Dries

Now that operating trains is perhaps moments away (I wish) it's probably a good time to make sure the trains actually operate. While the glue on the upper loop is drying I pulled some tools off my workbench (which is actually labeled "Juniata Shops") and went to work on some locomotives. AI wanted to make corrections to the paint on all of the steam engines. Several of them (read "most") need modifications to run on code 55 track. First off I needed to go over the two L1s Mikados and take the parts from the "leaper" to fix the one with the melted truck. I made some corrections to the paint and had to tune the mechanism to make sure it wasn't binding...
Surviving L1s

In the course of looking over the other locomotives I found that the modified I1s I purchased (forget where) had more than just it's steam pipes lined up. Apparently the previous owner used a commercially available kit when they made the changes. The modified parts look like they were machined. There were also additional parts added including a weight with holes drilled to hold the modified boiler. The boiler wasn't just pushed back to line up with the pipes, it was also shortened by cutting out a section towards the middle...
Modified Trix I1s

As you might find in the image above I also found that if you over tighten the boiler mounting screw it causes the boiler to arch up at the smokebox and makes the model look rather peculiar. Loosen it a bit and it goes back to normal. About the only things not done to the Trix Decapod were a decoder and grinding the wheel flanges for code 55 track.

Having seen how this 2-10-0 was changed I took my other I1s and made similar changes. Not having the aforementioned kit, I wasn't able to make all the mods, but I did correct the bolier and grind down the driver flanges. I also replaced all the tender and pilot truck wheels with ones having a lower profile flange. In the image below the modified flanges are on the lower locomotive...

I1s Wheel Modifications
It took a while to grind down the drivers. Having learned the hard way what happens if you rush it, I took my time. I ran the engine while touching a Dremel grinding tool to each flange. I went one at a time in short passes with the wheels and the Dremel turning in opposite directions. I would stop and visually check them and try the locomotive on the code 55 track on the layout. I just kept doing this whole routine a little at a time until the drivers seemed to be clearing the spike heads on the track. They probably don't look much smaller but they are working. I plan to do the same thing to the other 2-10-0 and the rest of the Trix models.

I opened up one of my Trix K4s and found someone had tried to install a decoder. The red and black wires that should go to track connections were soldered to the motor brushes. The gray and orange wire that should have gone to the motor brushes didn't go anywhere. They were also cut too short to be useful. If I reuse the decoder I'll have to replace them or extend them....


Decoder Fail

There are two K4s models and both will get the flange reduction treatment. I'm ordering tender trucks from Bachmann so I can improve electrical pickup on all the units. I'm also planning on equipping some of the steamers with the post war cast pilot (Yes I do like it better than the horizontal slats) from PRR-Parts

I'm hoping to get the L1s that swan dived back in running order. Still looking for the trailing truck that flew off. I have a new cab for the thing. I messed up the first one when I superglued my fingers to the sides. Pewter is VERY soft and removing my fingers warped the castings badly.

Having the GHQ kit on the L1s reflects bad on the other steamers with Trix shells. I'm thinking of modifying the cabs to look more like a PRR cab should. If that doesn't work I may buy more cab kits from Republic Locomotive Works.

I'm going to install decoders once I get the fleet in shape mechanically. There's plenty of room in the tender. A lot of folks don't like seeing all those wires running to the locomotive. Doesn't bother me. The benefits of DCC far outweigh the appearance issues.

That's it for today.

Regards,
Frank Musick
Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
Allegheny Eastern Railroad







No comments:

Post a Comment