Monday, October 7, 2013

Golden Spike

October 7th 2013
At approximately 12:00 Noon, Central Daylight Time, the last spike was driven in place and the Allegheny Eastern four track mainline was completed. Coincidently the last rail joiner was also placed. Literally, the very last rail joiner to be found on the property. I almost lost the thing when I dropped it. If I hadn't found it, the golden spike would have been postponed a few more days.

The Last Four Sections of Code 55

I completed the upper approach to the helix using my last four full sections of code 55 flex. All that's left are the odd sized remnants in the scrap box. Talk about cutting it close. The transition joints from the code 55 to the code 80 in the helix were soldered into place...


Transition Joints, Top of the Helix

Curiously, the last spike was not at Gallitzin, the point the track gangs have been working to for weeks. Rather it was hammered home at the west portal of Spruce Creek tunnel on Track 4...

"Golden Spike", Spruce Creek Westbound


Spruce Creek Eastbound
Before I finished up the mainline, I spent a bit of time revising HOMER. I used a scrap piece of styrofoam to span the "flyunder" and glued it in place. The vertical clearance may be tight, but it's enough...
HOMER Revised

HOMER
With the mainline complete it's time to start running some trains

Regards,
Frank Musick
Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
Allegheny Eastern Railroad



No comments:

Post a Comment