Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Temporary Inconvenience, Permanent Improvement

Spent a few hours yesterday installing the temporary track. The first one to go in was the lower loop at Spruce Creek...
Spruce Creek with Temporary Loop
It went in pretty quick....
Lower Loop

Unlike the code 80, the code 55 lines up with no protest. I think part of the difference is the tightness of the rail joiners. The code 55 joiners are pretty tight, especially the Peco brand and tend to stay that way. For whatever reason, the Atlas code 80 joiners don't hold as good. They also seem to spread easier, allowing joints to loosen up.

After that I started laying up a new spline to carry the upper loop. I tried something quick and dirty for supports. I cut some 1/2" PVC into 7" sections and glued on styrofoam crosspieces. They look a bit like sawhorses...
PVC/Styrofoam "Sawhoreses"

I widened the holes in the foam top of the helix base using a hole saw the same diameter as the PVC so I could mount the sawhorses...
Posthole Digger
With the supports in place I could start laying up the new spline to support the upper track...
Upper Loop Construction
The loop need only last until the helix is "retracked" so I didn't go overboard with the supports. Just enough to keep it in the air and support the weight of the trains.

Regards
Frank Musick
Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
Allegheny Eastern Railroad







No comments:

Post a Comment