Saturday, October 26, 2013

Another One Bites The Dust

I finished realigning the track at ANTIS. The interlocking isn't there yet. That's a whole 'nother project. For now it's just four parallel tracks...
ANTIS

The split between freight and passenger mains has moved closer to East Altoona. The curves on the mains need a bit of work. Not exactly "sweepers"...
East Altoona

Once I had the track down I had to run a test train. The L1s ran a while with that short train but it kept stopping in places. I don't think it's the track in those locations, other locomotives don't have the same issue. I'm going to use a meter to check.

I decided to run a real train. I gathered everything in the yards that had knuckle couplers and in running condition and coupled the sharks at the headend. There was some sort of problem and when I went to fix it I managed to push the B unit off the track. It plunged but the top of the workbench broke its fall about a foot below the railhead. Lost both couplers so I had to toss it into the RIP box. So I ran the train with just the two A units...

It was pretty amazing to me. The two units pulled a scale half mile of train up the 2% grade towards Bennington. When they hit The Slide, with it's 3% grade, they slowed but kept going. Moving at a crawl they almost made it the the summit before "running out of smoke". If the B unit hadn't gone deep six the train would have made Gallitzin. I'll have to get the shop crews on that unit SAP.

Regards
Frank Musick
Executive Fumble Fingers
Allegheny Eastern Railroad


No comments:

Post a Comment