Sunday, October 13, 2013

Desperate Times, Desperate Measures

It took only a few minutes. Thanks to the oddball construction methods I use it was no big deal to remove the entire helix. I simply cut the approaches, slid a saw under the base to break the glue bond and lifted the entire thing off...
Helix in the Aisle

Now the trick is to install two temporary loops in the space vacated by the helix. There's now an empty four foot by four foot tabletop in it's place...
The Big Empty at Spruce Creek

The lower loop will be straight forward. Just lay the cork and track on the foam. I have plywood circles from the helix construction that I use to check the minimum radius. I can use them to layout the track centers. The upper loop is a different story. Fortunately there are holes for the helix uprights in the table top. I can use these openings to locate supports for the upper loop. The construction will involve more styrospline and PVC tubing, the same methods used on the rest of the layout...
Gallitzin

Once again the adaptability of the spline will allow realigning the approaches at Spruce Creek and Gallitzin. It'll be pretty easy to modify the current roadbed to create the new trackage...

Temporary Loops

I've been waiting a long time to see this plan come to life and I really don't want to stare at empty track anymore. This is especially true now that I have seen trains moving on the layout again. These changes will give me time to fix the helix trackage while still running trains.

Regards,
Frank Musick
Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
Allegheny Eastern Railroad



No comments:

Post a Comment