Saturday, October 19, 2013

Hauling Fool

Let's see. Tried a lot of things today. Some worked. Some sorta worked. Some bombed. Isn't that life as we know it?

I had mentioned earlier that "Wire Glue" doesn't seem to work. User error. As James Bond might say, it must be "stirred not shaken". I should have stirred the stuff before I used it. All the good stuff had settled to the bottom of the jar. Once stirred well, it works...
"Stirred, Not Shaken"

Not only does it stick, it's hard to remove. Lot's of applications for conductive glue. I'm gonna try it again on a decoder installation. I'll let you know.

I think I mentioned the new traffic pattern on the layout. I've been running test trains back and forth checking for derailments and any other nasties that lurk along the right of way. I usually mark the issue with a Sharpie right on the side of the roadbed where it happened.

After trying several single locomotives on the test train I pulled out my "secret weapon". A diesel the book "Diesels of Eddystone" called "Hauling Fool". I have a set of ER Baldwin "sharks" that are phenomenal performers. I found that I could haul a twenty car train up any grade on the mainline, including the 3% or so of The Slide with three of these beasts on the headend...


I usually run them as a quartet, but one of the B units is ailing. Not sure of the maximum they'll take up The Hill as twenty cars is the average length of a train on the All East. The length is restricted by the capacity of the yard tracks. Thirty would be the absolute max.

The sharks are able to pull a train at a constant speed whether going uphill or down. They are "the bar" that I would like to raise all my motive power to, steam and diesel. I'm working on it.

Regards,
Frank Musick
Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
Allegheny Eastern Railroad





No comments:

Post a Comment