Sunday, October 13, 2013

Model Railroading Is Fun

Yes, just as Gary Hinshaw over at Railwire so aptly reminded me, "Model Railroading Is Fun". I especially like the primal screaming part. Helps me get in touch with the primitive "Me" inside myself.

Once the noise died down I rechecked the layout to make sure it wasn't a bad dream. It wasn't. If I check continuity between tracks 2, 3 and 4 the meter says they are all interconnected. ALTO is the only place where this can happen...
ALTO: On The Layout

I loosened up the track (thank God I used track nails instead of glue). and removed some of the turnouts. I checked continuity again. Track 4 and 3 are separate circuits. I removed the rest of the turnouts and all the tracks metered as isolated. No turnouts, no interconnections.

So I remove ALTO interlocking completely and reassemble it on the kitchen table where I can sit and trouble shoot at my leisure. What do I find? The interlocking works fine. The meter shows there are no paths from one track to another...
ALTO:  On The Table

With the interlocking gone the tracks on the layout meter as separate circuits, just as they should... BUT...as soon as I install ALTO in its proper place the problem returns.

AAAARGH!!!!!!!!

Let's see...other hobbies...macrame, stamp collecting, modeling the Empire State building with burnt match sticks. Collecting beer cans sounds pretty good, especially if you have to drink the contents first. Still, I do have all that model railroad stuff out in the garage. Maybe if I just back my pickup into the garage I can tow it all out in one shot...

The trackwork in the helix is a total failure. The joints did not stay aligned, regardless of solder, rail joiners or even the trench that holds the curve of the track. I'm not happy with code 80 track in general and will never use the stuff again, especially the older steel track. It conducts electricity like a brick and has the flexibility of...well...steel. Even the nickle silver track is giving me trouble. With the exception of misaligned turnouts at ALTO the rest of the layout operates perfectly. I should have used code 55 on the entire layout. I am going to throw temporary loops (using code 55) at Spruce Creek and Gallitzin and lay code 55 in the helix.The loops will undoubtedly shorten the run but more than that they completely kill the traffic pattern.

At least it's not back to the drawing board. The overall concept of the layout works as I hoped it would. The construction methods used for the helix and the roadbed are holding up well. If there is a shortcoming it's in the width of the styrospline. Because it is almost the same as the track trains that roll over have no place to go but down. Scenery will change this, but in the meantime I should put up something to catch the occasional "leaper".

Pressing forward...

Regards,
Frank Musick
Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
Allegheny Eastern Railroad






No comments:

Post a Comment