Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Tabula Rasa

If I remember my high school Latin correctly "tabula rasa" transliterates to "blank page" as in clean start. So it is with this blog. There was an earlier version, but it disappeared completely as a result of a poor choice on my part. No matter, it's sometimes a good thing when one has to start over.

This blog is about my hobby, model railroading. Specifically it is about the construction of my current model layout, dubbed "The Allegheny Eastern Railroad". Like this blog, the Allegheny Eastern is making a clean start. Previous versions were more design exercises than actual layouts. I had to learn how to design and build a large model railroad. I have been doing this by trial and error over the past few years, building and rebuilding, learning from each incarnation of the design. Some folks may view it as an idiotic way of pursuing the hobby, but it has it advantages. For one, I did not build a series of completed model railroads. I only constructed enough of the layout to discover whether it would work or not. If it didn't, I would change it. In some cases that meant starting over from scratch.

There were several design criteria for the "All East". One it had to be high enough to provide storage space underneath. The height was determined by stacking three of my wife's Rubbermaid storage boxes. Second, it had to be one level. I had experimented with multiple levels on an earlier version, but wasn't enthused about the idea. While it would appear to provide a longer mainline run, it limited the location of the layout to the walls. While this is the accepted norm for model railroads, I prefer the island design. By designing the layout with aisles and keeping the width to a minimum of 24" I was able to use both sides of the available benchwork, effectively doubling the mainline. Third, the layout would be freelance. In model railroading terms this means the railroad is "made up" and not necessarily a miniature replica of a real railroad. Fourth, the time period for the layout would be set in the late 1940's when steam locomotives were still the primary motive power for railroading. The last generation of steam locomotion was contending for supremacy of the rails with the first generation of diesel electric engines. Within a decade, the sun would set on the American steam locomotive. Most would be cut up for scrap, leaving the survivors as little more than curiosities from an earlier age.

Even though the Allegheny Eastern is a freelance model railroad, it is inspired by a particular place and time. I chose to represent an area of the Pennsylvania Railroad.between mileposts 230 and 250. This is the twenty miles of the PRR mainline that includes Altoona, Horseshoe Curve and Gallitzin. It's where the Pennsy battles it's way up the east slope of the Allegheny Mountains, using imaginative engineering and helper locomotives. This would be the operational theme of the layout. For the most part the motive power, rolling stock and structures would follow Pennsy standards. Because it is freelance, however, I can introduce elements of my other model railroad interests. I can, for instance, use locomotives and other equipment that were never part of the Pennsylvania roster.

Why base the All East on the Pennsylvania Railroad? Having been raised in Northeast Philadelphia, the PRR was an overwhelming presence. The Pennsy's Bustleton branch ran near my home. It connected to the four track Pennsylvania mainline at Holmesburg. The electrified four track main left a definite impression as GG1 and E44 electrics thundered past heading towards New York or Washington D.C. The only diesels I was exposed to were Baldwin and EMD switchers. I was an adult before I encountered to my first road diesel and that was long after the PRR was just a memory.

Read along with me as I create an N scale representation of mountain railroading Pennsy style.

Regards,
Frank Musick
Chief Cook and Bottle Washer,





Allegheny Eastern Railroad


No comments:

Post a Comment