Saturday, January 5, 2013

Construction Resumes

After the tests showed the layout flaws I had this idea of tearing up every inch of track and trying again. I caught myself before that happened. The code 55 section of the layout is actually in good shape and just needs tweaking. First step is completing the new helix. Progress stalled because the wood work really needs to be done outside. Routers also create tons of very fine sawdust as they chew through wood and throw it all over. Not a good idea in a closed garage. The twenty degree weather we've been having put a damper on working out of doors. Today the temperature is back up in the 40's so something got done.
New Helix Levels.

As I might have said early on, the channels I routed in the plywood are to make sure the track curves with no straight stretches and the resulting "sharp turns". Track will be laid on each section to form a sort of module. The sections of flex track will be soldered so that each level is one integral section. As I might have mentioned before the track must be connected and laid out straight when soldering the joints. This allows joints to line up correctly and permanently BEFORE curving the track. Had to read a few back issues in my library to learn that trick. Each level will have a set of feeder wires. The track joints between helix sections will be soldered as each level is installed. The overall construction is the same as the first attempts. There are 32 1/2" diameter posts supporting the structure. Each level is separated by 2" high spacers made of 1/2" PVC pipe. Those familiar with the original helix will note there is much more "meat" around most of the post holes. I also left the square corners on each panel. I will cut them at 45 degrees before laying the track. The transitions between the helix and the rest of the layout are built into the approaches at the bottom and top.

Just as in the helix I'm abandoning the idea of placing a feeder wire/rail joiner between each section of flex track on the layout (dumb idea 1,273,582). Instead I'm going to solder the track into 10' lengths with feeders at the middle of each length. I probably should go with 6' sections but why do it the conventional way when I can create more re- work for myself. I'm using thin silver solder meant for electronics. I have two sizes...VERY thin for decoder installs and just a bit thicker for rail work.

Few, if any, turnouts will be used on the mainline at this time. The few Atlas turnouts I have will be used on the short line, now called the Keystone Northern, and at the interchange and carbarn on the Logan Valley trolley line. I'm going to attempt building all the mainline turnouts in place. Many of them will have to be curved to suit the track radius and they aren't commercially available. Most of the curved pieces are in the yard. I tried to use ladders with #7 turnouts but that wasted a ton of real estate. There are also a few curved turnouts on the main, especially around the helper loop at Tunnel Hill. The interlockings at KEY and BLAIR will require some long crossovers (#10 or so) but these are all dead straight. Wish me luck on that project.

In other news...
Another K4s arrived today in the mail. I used the gift card I got at Christmas and bought it on E-Bay. Gift cards have become my standard request every year. That way I don't have to return the new AC6000 somebody might give me.

Anyway...The engine needs a slight repair, but I purchased it that way. The pilot truck is missing two wheels on one side. I have another from a "spare" K4 I managed to destroy while reducing the flanges. There was also that abortive attempt to re-power the thing. Helps if you read up on the procedure before you actually perform it. A life lesson learned...
K4s Sans Pilot Truck

It also seems to have a "hitch in its git along". I'm thinking the driver assembly was pulled out of the frame for some reason. If they are not replaced in EXACTLY the right way the engine will not run as smooth as it did from the factory. I have two Life-Like motors available so I may also re-power this engine and the I1s that arrived at Christmas.

I'll keep you posted.

Regards,
Frank Musick
Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
Allegheny Eastern Railroad






No comments:

Post a Comment