Friday, May 24, 2013

Embarrassment

When I titled that last entry "Major Miscalculation" I had no idea how appropriate that would prove to be.

I have to apologize for a HUGE mistake I made in my last posting. Fortunately Gary Hinshaw was kind enough to tell me I screwed it up. When I calculated the grade on the westbound tracks through the helix I used 18.25" instead of 36.5" like I should have.

The total track length of about 401". An 8" rise in 401" is a pinch under 2%.

Gary also provided a formula even I could understand...(Elevation/Turns*(pi*Diameter))*100 = Grade.

So armed with this new knowledge I don't feel as concerned about the engineers on my westbound trains. They will be descending the "west slope" on a 1.99% grade. That isn't nearly as bad as The Slide going east.

We learn by our mistakes.

Thanks again Gary.

Frank Musick
Chief Cook, Bottle Washer and Lousy Mathematician
Allegheny Eastern Railroad

No comments:

Post a Comment