Thursday, April 10, 2014

The Fourth Level

Today I elevated the roadbed for the Q Company. This is the last of the "mainlines" on the layout and forms what might be called the fourth level. The highest track on the layout, it's passes over the other "railroads" at seven or so inches above the deck, about 60" from the garage floor. This summit will be the location of the #10 Colliery...
Quotidian Company Right of Way

The elevation is complete into East End. It's a pretty steep climb back to the mine, I'm not sure what the grade is. The curve into East End is pretty tight by layout standards, maybe 10 or 12" radius. Since the traffic consists of short cars a wide curve wasn't really required, nor was it desired. This is a mining operation after all. The largest motive power Q Co owns is a class B Shay...
Q Company, East End

When I elevated the Q Co, I also rebuilt the taller supports for the Average Eastern roadbed. I wasn't happy with the haphazard stacks of random styrofoam. I cleaned everything up and made sure everything was the way I wanted it...
Revised Vertical Supports

While rebuilding the vertical supports I also worked on the 2% grade climbing east out of Quotidian. This is where the spline meets the slab on an angle. I tried different ideas including a styrofoam ramp...
"Styroramp"
Wasn't what I wanted so instead I cut the slab so the spline could slope into it on a 2% grade...
Spline - Slab Transition
I also went around the layout removing temporary screws and driving new permanent fasteners. The permanent screws are countersunk into the top of the roadbed...
Swappmg Fasteners

I used a razor blade to shave and scrape any excess glue or styrofoam from the top of the roadbed...
Cleaning The Top

Finally. I added ballast strip. I cut my own from sheets of cork using a 1" aluminum straightedge and a utility knife. Lining the straightedge up with the side of the cork gives me the width I need for a single track...
Cork Cutting
To apply the ballast strip i lay down a thick bead of tacky glue and then spread it with a spackling knife....
Spreader
I lay the cork on the roadbed and then "massage" it a bit. I hold one end and smooth the strip out with my fingers. I keep working it as I go along. This seems to help the glue set up quicker. It gets stickier and holds the cork better. This is especially true in curves. I stretch the cork out as I work it around the curved sections of roadbed....
Ballast Strip
As I progress down the right of way I will constantly go back over the previous sections and make sure the strip is smooth and level. At this point the remaining lengths of finished roadbed are ready for track.

Regards,
Frank Musick

Building a dream layout on a nightmare budget
The Average Eastern Railroad

No comments:

Post a Comment