Sunday, April 13, 2014

The First Train Leaves Average

Trackwork continues just about everywhere, but it is now possible to run an Average Eastern train from Average west to East End. The yards at either end aren't finished, but most of the mainline is complete. I spent the day on various layout related chores including connecting the Atlas DCC system for the AE...
Atlas Commnader, A Lenz System

The DCC I use is first generation, but it supports 99 mobile addresses and 99 accessory decoders. I actually own two of the Atlas Commanders. The second one is used to program decoders at the workbench...
Workbench Decoder Programming

The Connie doesn't have a decoder yet.  I was able to run it using address 00 which is reserved for DC locomotives. I made a quick and dirty video of the first run...

I had thought the video went longer, but it only follows the train to Owertown where I stopped to clean the tracks. Sorry.

The DCC system also includes some walk around throttles...
Walk Arond Throttles


 The throttles can be connected to the system at various locations using XpressNET jacks...
XpressNET

So far there are only two XpressNET connections. One is located at Quotidian, the other at Carbon Point. I plan to add several more creating connections at Owertown, Alpha and East End. The Average Eastern is the only railroad on the layout to use DCC. All the other roads, including the Q Company and Owertown Transit use DC throttles.

Regards,
Frank Musick

Building a dream layout on a nightmare budget
The Average Eastern Railroad

No comments:

Post a Comment