Monday, April 28, 2014

Field Modifications

While doing a bit of organic design work on the layout scenery I came across some things I wanted to do another way. It's one thing to look at a scale drawing, it's quite another to work with the actual scenery. Case in point, Owertown. The town is huge, about twelve feet long and three feet across. It needed to be scaled back a bit...
Average Eastern April 28th, 2014


I dropped a block out of the middle and cut out a row of stores near city hall. The OTC trackage no longer runs down Railroad Avenue. That thorofare is gone leaving just Commerce and Market streets. Othir Street is gone and St Aloyisius ended up at the corner of Church and Market.

Wm H. Taylor & Co. has relocated from the east end of Quotidian. The plant is now across the tracks from Excelsior Machine in Owertown. Taylor & Co shares a spur with the OTC carbarn and powerhouse...
"New" Owertown

The two long tunnels on both Class 1 mainlines are now open. I had some sort of tunnels in mind with drop down panels for emergency access. Now I may just leave the trains visible. Spectators seem to like being able to actually see the trains even if it may not make sense from a protoypical point of view. Tunnel access in general is a concern so I daylighted the four track between Average and Quotidian. The scenery also affected the location of the Average depot. I moved it to the east end of town...
Daylighted
The river in that location ended up quite different from the original idea. The AE will now cross a wide "valley" on a bridge built from seven Atlas viaducts...
Split River

You can see the four track passing under the AE in the center of the picture. I plan to build another bridge at that location.

At Average Hollow Mountain is too close at hand and crowds the engine facilities. I wanted some intervening space so I consolidated...
Average "Reimagined"

Of course after all this work I had to play a bit. I staged some equipment at Average...
Average Yard and Engine Facilities
The Busy Pennsy Mainline


Still a great deal of work to do

Regards,
Frank Musick

Building a dream layout on a nightmare budget
The Average Eastern Railroad






No comments:

Post a Comment