Tuesday, April 29, 2014

The Bridges At Split River

Another eight hour day and more scenery roughed in. Most of it between Average and Owertown at what is now called Split River. There is an island in the center of the river so two bridges are required. A steel girder carries the AE over the west branch while a stone arch bridge crosses the east branch and the mudflats into Owertown...
Split River

The bridges are built from Atlas kits I've had for years, all of them recycled from the aborted Pennsy project. I'm guessing they could be better but right now they do the job.

The only thing I did that might be considered "special" was to stagger the deck joints on the arch bridge. This interlocks the spans and makes for a sturdier model. It won't be any stronger, just less prone to fall apart when I lift it out to paint and weather...
Staggered Joints
After the glue set on the arch assemblies I put it in place so I could get the proper height for the supports...
"Hanging" Bridge

I cut the supports to the proper height and glued them in place. While the glue set I went to work on the girder bridge. I had envisioned a curved bridge, but decided a straight bridge wold be better. Unfortunately, a big sweeping curve already exists in that area. I would have to realign the roadbed...
Realignment Necessary

With the stryrofoam spline this isn't as hard as it sounds. I just move the spline into it's new alignment. Once the roadbed lined up I used supports and abutments made from arch bridge parts and set the girder in place...
Girder Bridge

I installed the arch bridge back into place before roughing in more scenery...
Stone Arch Bridge

Installing the cardboard matrix for the terrain takes a while. Each strip is placed individually. I try to get the cardbord to lay naturally. I don't use stiff cardboard. I knead it with my hands to make it pliable. Thumbtacks and drywall screws hold it in place until the glue dries. To me the resulting framework looks like actual land forms. Once it's covered in the final shell it's pretty convincing...
Test Shell, Lake Elsinore

I rolled #11 out and staged a short AE freight crossing the Split River...

Crossing the Split River Into Owertown

Of course you have to take one of those low angle pictures...
#11 Pulls A Freight Over the Split River

It's funny, spending a full eight hours on your hobby is just as tiring as a real job. A lot more fun, but tiring.

Regards,
Frank Musick

Building a dream layout on a nightmare budget
The Average Eastern Railroad






No comments:

Post a Comment