Monday, September 2, 2013

The absurdity of it all...

Surfing the web over this holiday weekend I was struck by several things...

Catching up on my reading I came across David K Smith's comments (from 2011!) about the NMRA harassing him for using THEIR trademarked "Gorre & Daphetid" name for his layout. I can't even begin to tell you how I feel about this. I ran into a similar situation while building digital models a few years back. Seems as how Union Pacific feels you should pay for the honor of labeling model trains with their "esteemed" road name. I actually applied for permission and then canned the idea. WTF came to mind. Rather than pay homage to UP, I started to letter my models for the Onion Specific Railroad. Then I realized I was being ridiculous. My models were A- not a commercial venture or B- not in such demand as to attract attention. Any way, Dave's experience makes me want to change the name of the Allegheny Eastern to the GORRE & DAPHETID just for spite. Instead I think I'll just copyright the initials NMRA. National Mundane and Ridiculous Asshats or something on that order. Wait, I don't have to do that. I can just contact the
National Masters Racquetball Assocation and let them have a go at our illustrious comrades in Chattanooga.

While perusing Amazon for model railroad goodies (yes they have some) I came across a few things that irritated me. I cannot purchase a reasonably priced, state of the art N scale Pennsy steamer BUT I can get Preiser figures of ...
2- Burlesque Queen aka "stripper"
4- A Women Flashing Her Boobs (No exaggeration)
5- Mime
And last but not least...

There were a few others but anyway...I'm not a prude by any means. I'm modeling the 40's in N scale so I won't be purchasing any of these treasures. That way I won't break someones' heart for buying up Amazons' inventory of "unique" figures. I just don't understand why we can get this silliness while every N scale manufacturer insists on producing yet another DD-40, Challenger or Big Boy. I hope they paid the license fees to UP. Could be trouble...I know all about the commercial viability etc. Can't make what doesn't sell and so forth. Blah, blah, blah. How many HO scale Popes have you seen lately?

Roaming thru a billion pages of EBay looking for bargains I am astounded by the number of pirates that lurk there. "Stand and Deliver" should be the heading on their auctions. Maybe they are actually unaware of their competitors pricing but I kinda doubt it. How about an N scale 40 foot boxcar for $75. Micro Trains makes a nice product but Really? Same guy has several of them. Oh yea, I forgot. They are COLLECTOR ITEMS. Sure glad I'm not a collector. Damn fools. Another goodie is a Minitrix Pennsy 0-6-0 for $200. Don't these sellers ever look at EBay? The same locomotive is right down the page for $39.99. Of course right below that is yet another Trix 0-6-0 for $345.95 Oh wait, there's not one, there's TWO. The other is that faked up "old timer" based on the PRR version. People these ARE NOT brass locomotives!!!. I'm pretty sure the investment value is zilch. Admittedly the plastic shells will still be around thousands of years after the brass ones go to dust, but I'm pretty sure no one but a museum will care by then. It will end up in a glass case with a mummified 21st human surrounded by contemporary watchamacallits. Right there beside the DVD of Lilo & Stitch.

Thanks for letting me rant a while...

Regards,
Frank Musick
Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
Allegheny Eastern Railroad


No comments:

Post a Comment