Friday, March 29, 2013

Once more into the Fray!

Now that the track has been relaid on all three levels of the "new" helix, it's time to start assembling (re-assembling?) the parts. I know the helix has been through so many versions that I've got everyones head spinning (including my own). That's the problem with organic design. There is a LOT of trial and error. The goal was to design and construct a helix as cheaply as possible. I think even with all the revisions, the cost was lower or equal to some other helix designs. The result is a low cost design that can repeated on a new layout. Not that I'm planning on building one again, but you never know.

Cost of building (if you only build it once)
3 sheets of 1/4" hardwood plywood at $12 ea                         $35.91
3 10' lengths of 1/2" Schedule 40 PVC pipe at $1.86 ea.           $5.58
8 1/2" dia dowels, 36" long at $0.99 ea                                      $7.92
Total expenditure                                                                     $49.41

I didn't include the flex track. I got almost all of the code 80 I used at $1 per 30" section. At real prices this would be the most expensive part of the build. I believe I used close to 55 sections to build all four tracks (about 134 feet of track). That's almost $280 at $5 each.

So for the helix parts I spent roughly what it would have cost me just to buy the threaded rod and nuts on a more conventional helix.

With all the levels ready to go, the first thing to do is create the support pins. I cut the 8 36" dowels into 32 9" pieces...
Base and Levels and Pins Stacked Prior to Assembly
I used Thing 2.0 to cut them up. It's simply an Exacto aluminum miter box with a plywood insert so I don't cut this miter box in two like the first one. By using a separate block of wood as an adjustable jig I can set the length and cut without measuring each piece...
Thing 2.0 in 2.0a Configuration 9" Cut
I then use a westernized version of the Japanese razor saw to cut the dowels into 9" pieces...

Pile of 9" Pins
With thin plywood like I'm using I need a lot of support. Each pin set is approximately 7" from its neighbor...
Supports Spaced Every 7"

With all the pins cut to size I start assembling the first level. All the spacers on the upper levels are 2" high. Between the base and the first level each set of spacers has to be cut to individual sizes in 1/8" increments.. 1/8", 1/4". 3/8" etc up to 2". I didn't use any special formula to decide what size to make each one. I just divided 2" by 16 and came up with 1/8". Every spacer should be 1/8" taller than the one before it...
First Level Spacer Sizes
With the pins and Level 1 in place things look like it's going together well...
Pins and Level 1 in Place
I added the 2" spacers that support Level 2 and lowered it onto the pins. So far so good. Level 2 fits without issues...

Level 2 Installed

The real test comes with Level 3. On the previous version of the helix, the holes did not line up well. As a result I had to "persuade" pins to fit. The application of brute force worked to some extent. I only broke some of the pins. This time, however, the holes lined up perfectly. I was able to install Level 3 with little to no problems...
Level 3 Installed
Now that I know the parts will actually fit together I can sweat the details. Have to join the tracks, add feeders and create the lower and upper approaches. Could the trains actually be running soon?

Regards,
Frank Musick
Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
Allegheny Eastern Railroad






No comments:

Post a Comment