Thursday, January 5, 2012

Morphing Yet Again!

While working on the layout today I realized that maybe there is a method to my madness. The Allegheny Eastern is constantly in a state of flux. I try out new ideas as I go along and if I like what I see I apply it to other areas of the layout. The design evolves as I work on it. This morphing is possible because of the construction methods used. The sub-roadbed is 5mm plywood and gives support and stability to the half-inch extruded (blue) foam. Both the foam and the plywood can be cut with a utility knife. The blue foam is glued to the plywood with DAP acrylic caulk and can be easily removed with use of a wide blade putty knife. The ballast strip is then attached to the blue foam using "tacky glue" used in scrap booking. The glue is similar to what is used on post-it notes. It holds the ballast strip firmly in place but still allows me to pull it up and relocate it. The track is held in place by mechanical means, half-inch wire nails inserted every 4 inches or so. This wire nails are easily removed whenever necessary and are really a temporary fastener. When the track is ready to be affixed permanently, the ballast and glue will secure it.

Long sections of track can be pulled up and relocated rather quickly. Laying it down takes a bit longer, especially if I have to add new sections and pre-drill the holes for the nails. Even that goes rather quickly. A few hours work and the track is relocated and fastened down firmly enough for trains to run again. It's rather like relaying sectional track on a table top, just a little more sophisticated.

You might think this would be a bad way to do things, Normally a person might build a layout and learn some lessons and techniques they can apply to the next layout. The next project incorporates the lessons learned and the result is a better model railroad. This takes several years and a number of layouts. The All East works pretty much the same except that it's "one" layout. The lessons learned don't wait for the next layout. They are incorporated into the current project. The layout "morphs" as the design crystalizes.

The recent rework is a prime example. After running trains for a while I saw things I wanted to change. That's when the 8' x 5' extension came into being. By using more of the garage I was able to add space for a huge helix and more operating possibilities. By adding an extra foot of width to the Altoona area I was able to redesign the yards and include the East Altoona service facilities.

This redesign of Altoona led to still another improvement. After creating the sweeping curves for the mains in this part of the layout, it occurred to me that I could realign all the curves on the layout and increase the minimum radius. I had wanted to do this after I noticed that some of the longer diesels and eight coupled steamers didn't seem to operate as well as they should on the tighter curves. This realignment doesn't require any drastic benchwork revisions. It's simply a matter of adding a few inches to the radius of some curves and relocating others so they "flow" better. I'm also taking the opportunity to widen Horseshoe Curve, making sure it doesn't interfere with the helix by placing the mockup in position on the benchwork.

Tim Muirs Virtual Pacific Electric
I'm also able to incorporate design ideas that I have stumbled upon from unsuspected sources. While I have track charts and photos up the wazoo, there are just some portions I couldn't find enough information on. Then about a week or so ago I was surfing for screen shots from the various train simulators. I use them as screen savers on my computers. The guys who create these "virtual" layouts are artists in a whole 'nother media. Many of them resemble paintings and in some cases I have had them framed as artwork. The screenshot on the right was taken from Tim Muir's Pacific Electric. The layout was created using Microsoft's Train Simulator.

Trainz Layout of Glen White Branches
Anyway, a fellow is modeling the same section of the PRR I am, but using the Trainz Simulator program. I don't know his name but he uses the handle "cascaderailroad" and claims to be 95 years old and living at Vostok Base in Antartica! The pictures of the track layout he posted clarified quite a few things I had been wondering about. He has modeled the Glen White branches that ran up either side of Kittaning Point. None of  the photographs I have of this area shows this arrangement as clearly as this virtual version. It's easy to see how the two branches through Burgoon Run connected on the west side of the curve. The track on the east side is the Baker Run branch and includes the spur to the old coaling station at Kittaning. Even the depot, interlocking and freight station are shown!

Virtual Altoona Freight Station
He has also modeled the freight house yard in Altoona with its paired tracks and platforms. I have a photograph of this area but it doesn't really show the orientation of the freight station and tracks to the main line. Here it's very clear. The Altoona train shed appears in the upper center of the picture.

The simulator can model the entire PRR installation at Altoona and that is what has been done. I found screen shots of the yards, the interlockings, tower locations and a myriad of other details.

Looking East From Tunnel Hill
One area I really couldn't visualize is Tunnel Hill. There really isn't any camera view large enough, just bits and pieces showing individual details. I learned more from the one view at the right then I had in months of research. The eastward and westward tracks are at different elevations. Westward trains can use either tunnel and the "New Portage" branch (Hollidaysburg) passes under the eastward tracks. I've been dissatisfied with the east approach to the twin tunnels since I first laid them out. Now I'm in the process of modifying this area of the layout too.


Tunnel Hill, Reimagined
I completely rebuilt the "west" end of the layout tore up all the track and ballast strip and laid a new top and foam. Then I started redesigning the area based on the new information. The curves are wider on all tracks. I moved the twin bores further apart and shortened the planned length of all three tunnels. I also included the New Portage branch, though I still have to work out the exact position. I plan to elevate the eastward mains and a stone and girder bridge over the branch. The branch will be long enough to store a short train. There is also some room to build a siding for an industry.



Gallitzin Loop
One other place I'm wasn't satisfied with is Gallitzin. for one, the helper loop was actually two tracks. On my track charts from the 30's the tracks are labeled for Altoona and Johnstown. Helpers were working in both directions and turned on this loop to return to their respective bases. I don't intend to incorporate the helper operations on the west slope, but I would like to suggest they exist by modeling the second track. Perhaps I could park a dummy K4s on the Johnstown loop. Those additional sidings look tempting too. The signal and tower locations are also details I would like to incorporate.

Gallitzin, Revised
On this side of Tunnel Hill I kept the westward mains separated. They come together just as they begin to descend the planned helix. The helix will actually run under part of the section shown in the photo at right. The helper loop is further "east" than it formerly was. and will have two tracks.

There is also more room in this area than before. I plan to add industrial sidings in the lower right hand corner. I may also consider "industrializing" the area between the mains. This would add local freight trains to the scheme of things. This should complicate operations enough to make things interesting.

"Portage" Branch
The New Portage branch will pass under this bridge (after the mains are elevated) and stop at the end of the benchwork. There are no plans to expand it, I'm out of garage. In a kind of staging operation a train will hold on this track periodically to simulate traffic up and down the branch. I'm mulling over the idea of placing an industry in this corner. Eventually the helix will be in place and this entire area will be elevated six inches or so above the benchwork. For the time being, however, the world is flat and that bridge will be the highest point of the layout.

No comments:

Post a Comment