Friday, November 13, 2015

Slow as Molasses in February

Still working on the bridges through Quotidian. Two are almost done with a third waiting for assembly...
Quotidian Bridges

I went with a more realistic design (you can see the original "Web" bridge at center right) for the three bridges. The two are shown here will soon be carrying the branch across the siding and mainline. The third will be located at the other end of the viaduct. I'm thinking I may have to reallign the roadbed to make them all fit.

Did some speed tests on the two diesels I've been tinkering with. I mentioned previously that I had purchased two Canon motors. The first went into the Hustler. I decided to use the second one in the SW1. I made some videos of the tests. First the SW1 (please excuse the noise)...
SW1 Slow Speed Test

The locomotive ran pretty well with the stock motor after I eliminated the traction tires. The new motor enhansed the performance even more. I think I clocked the engine at just under 9 mph.

The Hustler is a whole 'nother story. Between the new motor and the Travis drive performance is unbelievable. In this video the locomotive is running the 3 foot section of mainline along the rear side of the layout. The video is in real time...
Hustler Slow Speed Test

It now takes over a minute for the little locomotive to travel 36"  Using a scale speed converter on the web I found that's the equivalent of 2.3 mph. Light years beyond the performance of the stock Hustler. The Travis drive is almost silent, which in a way helped me test a turnout. The only time I can hear the locomotive is when it traverses the turnout. It makes a double clunk sound as it passes through the frog. The turnout is slated for replacement. I'm getting better and fabricating them.

Regards,
Frank Musick

No comments:

Post a Comment