Monday, November 2, 2015

Andyrobertsite

Now that more track is in I thought I'd take a staged photo...Here a 4-4-0 with a mixed freight takes the siding as a 2-6-0 camelback rumbles by with another mixed consist. Meanwhile a 2-6-0 trundles across the viaduct with a short Andyrobertsite ore train...
Meet At Quotidian

No scenery yet and only one turnout, at the far end of the siding, is in place. A second turnout is waiting for installation at the near end of the layout. The second turnout turned out much better, which prompted me to start a repalcement for the first...
Layout

You can see the parts for the viaduct sitting on the branch line at the lower right.

The model viaduct is being built from 1/8" plywood, a material I don't think existed when John Allen built his linoleum version. These new thin plywoods are an awesome addition to hobby supplies. I think the thinnest is only 1/64". Not sure how you make plywood that thin. Anyway, while I originally thought of using plastic, plywood covered in embossed stone paper seemed a better way to go....
Viaduct "Kit"

I cut the arches with a hole saw (very slow and carefully) and a hobby saw. It took a while, but I didn't want to mess it up.

I positioned the parts on the layout to get a better idea where they will go...
Quotidian Viaduct
The two sections will be joine by wood truss bridges patterned after this one... 
Wooden "K" Truss Bridge

Another bridge will run from the left end of the viaduct to the "mountain". Haven't decided what type. I think Mr Allen used another truss bridge although I think I saw a picture with some other type. Thought of using this...
Wooden Pratt Truss
Right now I'm working on getting one of the Moguls. The gears are not engaging and I need to tweak the motor mount. Got to repower those twin Hustlers too.

Regards,
Frank Musick






No comments:

Post a Comment