Friday, October 23, 2015

A Few New Additions

A few things have happened since the last entry. Here's an update...

A second curved turnout was constructed for the other end of the siding. I did a much better job on this one. So good, in fact, that I'm going to build a replacement for the first turnout...
Right Hand Curved Turnout

I spent some time and care on the points and stock rails. I used the techniques I developed with the first turnout...
Points

Same with the frog. I think I can do better in this area. Had to do a lot of filing to make it right...
Frog

Although it worked well on the workbench the only way to know for sure is put it in place and run trains through it...
Future Location

Which brings us to the rolling stock and motive power. Found a hobby shop in Louisville that took me back a few decades. Athearn blue boxes were everywhere. Old school shake the box kits from Roundhouse, Varney and a bunch of others. Got a good deal on rolling stock...10 cars for $6 each. The roster tripled overnight. Most of the cars came with Kadee knuckle couplers. I've repainted them in preparation for adding my own decals (I hope)....
New Equipment
 Also snagged another IHC locomotive, a 4-4-0. Like the Mogul before it, it came lettered for the L&N... 
IHC 4-4-0

Just like the Mogul, it will get a new paint job. The 2-6-0 is now in plain black and decoder equipped. Same Digitrax mobile sound as the camelback...
2-6-0

The 2-6-0 came with an oil burning tender. I hacked up the bunker cover and made it a coal hauler. Also replaced the horn hook coupler with an EZ Mate knuckle.

Made progress on ttrack and ballast strip for the branch. At this point the layout looks like something is happening...
Layout: General View


Made a video of the two steamers to show how DCC works. Nothing spectacular, but you may get the idea...


Regards,
Frank Musick

No comments:

Post a Comment