Friday, February 28, 2014

Refinements

No overlong videos this time, just a summation.

Having run a few operating sessions I made more refinements to the track plan based on those experiences. The yard at Average has been shortened quite a bit, with most tracks about six feet long. Running around a train requires far less travel. There is also an escape track conveniently adjacent to the engine terminal...
Average: February 27, 2014

There is also a new industry. It's a large plant with three sidings. I just have no clue as to what they produce there...
Mystery Manufacturer

I mentioned in the previous entry that the drill track at Quotidian was at the wrong end of the yard. This has been corrected and the yard redesigned to suit. Once I started detailing the structure symbols I also played around with some siding locations. Nothing major, just minor adjustments...
Quotidian February 28, 2014

East End has also been updated. The yard is much shorter with a different flow. The interchange track now serves as a drill track. Q Company trains now have their own siding and share a run around track with the AE...
East end: February 27, 2014

The Quotidian Company Mine and powerhouse are closer together with a tighter radius curve between them. The facilities for the Shay have been moved to the aisle side of the Q Co. "main"...
Q Co. Mine February 27, 2014

The siding for the Q Co quarry has also been relocated to the aisle side...
Q Co Quarry February 27, 2014

The track plan is at a state where I feel I can start construction on the real thing. The mainlines for the Class 1 railroads are pretty straight forward and, for the most part, are already in place.

I would recommend this virtual running to anyone developing a track plan. Seeing the trains going through their paces highlights problems before they are written in stone. This doesn't mean I won't still find faults. I'm sure I will. It won't be the first time I've had to tear up track and make changes.

Regards,
Frank Musick

Building a dream layout on a nightmare budget
The Average Eastern Railroad






No comments:

Post a Comment