Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Operating the Track Plan 2: Disaster Strikes

After realizing the SNAFU from the last session I went back and revised the track plan. It took a bit of work to put it all together using commercially available turnouts. To get everything to line up I even had to relocate the four track, if only just a bit. I also reworked the two interchange tracks so they could be accessed through trailing point turnouts on the mainline. There were a few other changes and the end result a drill track that provided access to the interchange without fouling the mains...
Average: Revised Trackage
I kept the drill track for the yard proper. It makes switching the yard easier. I don't have to pull all the way out to the interchange when making up a train. I also revised the trackage around the Average depot. LCL and mail now uses the interchange track that runns behind the depot.

With the new trackage done I resumed operation from where I left off. The 2-8-0 was able to spot the reefers on the interchange track without fouling the main. The engine then backed into the yard to the boxcar on track 4 that was moved to get at the reefers. The boxcar was moved to its original position on track 3. The Consolidation then reversed and moved to track 2 to pick up a string of cars going east. The caboose on track 1 was tacked on and the train moved out. The train was stopped just before the crossing and waited for the mainline to clear.

At this point I zoomed out to check the position of the various trains. Since it looked clear I started the AE train through the crossings. Unfortunately, I hadn't judged correctly and before the train could clear the crossing a westbound passenger train barreled through the crossing...

There are a few ways to prevent such disasters. The easist would to run the mainline trains on a schedule. Those trains would be "staged" in one of the tunnels, or even just stopped out on the main. Some sort of automated control would be ideal. I'm usually the sole operator and need to concentrate on the AE. The AE trains will then be able to cross the mainline between scheduled trains, somewhat secure in the knowledge that they'll make it to the other side safe and sound.

In other news, the gang over at Railwire suggested that the new version of Quotidian didn't look quite write. A big issue was the heavy usage of Tomix mini track. With 4" radius curves and turnouts it might not work. Worse still, with things like crossed sidings the convoluted track arrangement just wasn't cutting it. On my own part I was having trouble with getting cars from the industrial area into the yard. The drill track was in the wrong place and was no help at all...
Quotidian: Tomix Version

So I went back over the plan at took another shot at the area. I kept the minimum radius to 10" and used #7 turnouts. I did retain the "crossed" sidings in the lumber yard. The two sidings are vertically seperated. The elevated siding allows hoppers to dump their loads directly into coal bins. I also relocated the drill track. I placed the service facilities for the switcher on that track...
Quotidian: Revised Version

I haven't tried switching yet. I've been too busy operating the rest of the AE, including the "Q" Company mine branch.

Regards,
Frank Musick

Building a dream layout on a nightmare budget
The Average Eastern Railroad






No comments:

Post a Comment