Friday, November 15, 2013

The Shark B-Unit

Being retired gives me an advantage over most other model railroaders. I get to spend at least eight hours a day on something I love doing. So I get to work on many different things on the days I devote to the hobby. At present I'm working on scenery, an improved design for the helix and a set of Baldwin DR-6-4-20 passenger "sharks".

This past few days I've been working on the B unit. I built it from scratch because I had run out of complete shells to kitbash AND I wasn't happy with the how the two A units came out. Splicing two bodies creates some challenges especially when the shells have different makers and plastics.

On the B unit I built the sides and top out of a single pieces of plastic so there is no joint in the middle I did use the ends from V-Line shells that were in the scrap pile. These ends also served as templates for the body parts. It went pretty well although I had some problems with the roof. I carved a bit too deep and had to patch it with plastic strip left over from the build. I basically kept adding plastic and welded it in with styrene cement...
B Unit Patch

I used the frame from a dummy Alco PA model. Like the powered PA models I used the trucks can be "spun" around on their pivots to create the longer wheelbase of a Baldwin shark.

At this point I have three units, an A-B-A set that still needs a bit of work...
PRR Class BP3, Baldwin DR-6-4-20 A-B-A Set 

They look okay, but like I said earlier, the kitbashed A units don't quite look right. I sanding the center seams I went too far and the lines aren't as clean as they should be. Rebuilding them using the construction I used on the B unit would go a long way in improving their looks... 
Passenger Sharks!

At present they are passable at a distance but close examination reveals the faults in the finish. Despite the flaws, they look enough like BP20's to be photographed on the layout.

Painting and detailing is still in the future. My experience with N scale decals is limited and an attempt to stripe a PA set left a lot to be desired. I'm gonna try again. Hopefully I can do better.

Regards,
Frank Musick
Building a dream layout on a nightmare budget
The Allegheny Eastern Railroad


No comments:

Post a Comment