Sunday, November 10, 2013

Taking the Scenic Route: Part 3

Having adjusted the backdrop so the "eastern" end is closer to Juniata I threw on some craft paper in an effort to mock up Kittanning Point. The first attempt was done in minutes due to the impending visit of a very precocious four year old...
Horseshoe Curve

Once the havoc died down and smoke started to clear I made a second attempt. Spent a little more time on it this go'round. I cut out the 3D portions of the mountains and roughly outlined the painted portions on the masonite backdrop. Since I didn't have any spray paint available I took a photo and then doctored it up in Paint Shop Pro. This way I was able to play with the shape of the slopes without having to mess around with paint, glue or craft paper...
Paint Shop Version

The dark green represents Kittanning Point while the light green shows the two mountains that flank Burgoon Valley. The problem is that I'm pretty sure it's not going to work. I really don't think I can model the mountains around Burgoon Valley in 6" and create the desired effect.

I thought about this for a while. I was limiting the depth of the scene so that I could create the "Blair Furnace" area on the opposite side...
Blair Furnace Area at East Altoona


Blair Furnace was once the name of the place we now call Altoona. The model is supposed to represent the Altoona Northern, a short line that once terminated in Juniata. I thought it would add some interest to the layout by providing some switching opportunities. I've tossed the idea out and then brought it back several times. If I'm going to do The Curve justice I have to toss Blair Furnace aside one more time...
Allegheny Eastern Track Plan, Nov. 10th 2013

The green line represents the backdrop and as you can see I moved it as far as I could away from the tracks that ascend the east slope. Pushing it towards Juniata and East Altoona leaves no room for Blair Furnace. The scenery in these areas is urban, mostly building flats in the background or distant mountains. Losing space really doesn't affect the overall look. I also pushed the backdrop deeper into Altoona proper. When I thought about it I realized that the scene might be too big. I'd have to place quite a few buildings into the area. By cutting it down I can use fewer structures and put more of the city on the backdrop. I also cut back on the Altoona & Logan Valley trackage. I removed the carbarn and interchange and squashed it into the thinner space.

These changes would allow the east slope scenery to look more like actual mountains and less like wallpaper. I did leave the suggestion of a connection with Glen White, but like the New Portage branch at Bennington, it's just track. There is no plan to have either one operate.

It occurred to me that Blair Furnace might be a good subject for a small shelf layout. That way I could do some switching and give my Shay something to live for. Not sure if the family will understand having two layouts...Maybe I'll tell them I joined N-Trak.

I'll mock up the new backdrop location and see if it works.

Regards,
Frank Musick
Building a dream layout on a nightmare budget
The Allegheny Eastern Railroad



No comments:

Post a Comment