Thursday, August 15, 2013

Status Report

It's been so long since the last entry Blogger forgot who I am. I actually had to login.

The good news is that the Mazda is through emissions and running like a clock. Now she has a sunroof (that doesn't leak) a tach and a new clutch. Now all  I have to do is work on my Ranger. Needs a bumper and some TLC. The bad news is the only thing to happen on the layout is the purchase of yet another Trix K4s. I bought it at a small local show for $15. Also needs TLC...

"New" Trix K4s
The "Kay" Sisters











I have been working on modeling, but not in N scale. I was goofing around on the computer one evening and started, or rather finished, working, on this...
1935 Lincoln Zephyr
It's a digital model for Microsoft Train Simulator. I had almost completed it a few years ago when I lost interest in "MSTS" and started in N scale (oh yeah, there was also that minor issue of the quadruple bypass). For some reason I decided to finish working on it and uploaded it to a train sim site called Elvas Tower That's the Southern Pacific interlocking tower, not "The King". The folks over there are doing some fantastic virtual railroading and I've kept in touch over the years.

I built the 3D model, but the real genius are the guys who provided the textures I used on the model. Dan Palatnik is a 3D artist extrodinaire. His version of the Lincoln looks like this...
Dan Palatnik's 1935 Lincoln Zephyr

Absolutely beautiful isn't it? Check out his other models. They are all of the same caliber. Another artist I work with is Niko Moritz

He did the textures for many of the trucks I've built. I used one of his White WH4 cabs on this REA truck...
Bing Crosby selling cigarettes on an REA truck

Anyway, MSTS doesn't have the capability to display such a highly detailed model so I had to tone things down a bit. I found that the reflections and highlights of those high crown body panels caused some odd issues so I dulled them. I also changed the color s to create more variation. Having dozens of the same exact car on your V scale model railroad isn't the ideal. This "repainting" is quite simple to do once you learn how and I created four versions...
A lot of Lincolns

Just in case you're wondering, I haven't given up on the Allegheny Eastern. This 3D modeling is quite a bit of time consuming work. This model was about 95% complete and took very little of my time. I worked on it while waiting for the rain to stop while fixing the car (we've had a monsoon summer). Just something to keep me busy.

Having said that, Let me say I have created a number of 3D models of all sorts of things. I also have a library of digital models built by other artists. It would be pretty awesome to have some of these objects reproduced in N scale. I keep thinking they could be run through a 3D printer but I know that some of the models, mine in particular would have to be redone. These Lincolns, for instance, are very simple shapes...
Lincoln Wireframe

There are no details like window recesses or door handles. All of that is part of the texture used on the model, what gamers call "skins". My creations would need to be "gussied up". A model like Dan's has actual three dimensional form, but is VERY complex. It would probably require some "detuning" before it could be printed in N scale. Of course there is also the consideration that artists like Dan may not want their models printed in 3D.

So let's start with simple shapes like mine. I could refine the model by adding more definition (lots of polygons in the mesh). That would work for the major body lines. The challenge is the small stuff. Details such as hood ornaments, door handles, window recesses, grill louvers, etc would be a lot of work. Would it be worth the effort. How deep is a window recess in N scale? What's the size of a 1:160 door handle? I imagine they are miniscule, to say the least. Would it be better to mimic the original 3D model and add the details with paint or decals? Hmmm...Hadn't thought of decals before.

If I had one or two of these models I might not consider it. I don't. Here's an idea of the number of vehicles I have modeled in 3D. These are just road vehicles...
Digital Vehicles
Lincolns, Fords, Pickups, White, Mack and Studebaker trucks, Fire engines, trash trucks, street sweepers, semi trailers, tow trucks, and old Mack "bull dog" AC's. There are a number of variations of each shape. You can go crazy with paint schemes for these things, especially the trucks.

I won't even get into the Baldwin and Alco cab units I have. All these variations are just stuff I made. If you visit some of the train simulator sites you'll see an endless variety of all kinds of stuff. If only...

Food for thought

Regards,
Frank Musick
Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
Allegheny Eastern Railroad

No comments:

Post a Comment