Wednesday, December 9, 2015

The Hump

Bridges, bridges bridges. They're fun to build, especially when you're not following any prototype whatsoever. They do, however, consume mass quantities of stripwood. The guys at the local Hobby Town now know be my first name.

I won't go into detail on how I built them. Suffice to say you create a template and construct the trusses, bents, whatever on top of it. I've been using superglue gel to hold things together; much faster than wood glue. I've also started using Testors "burnt umber" paint instead of stain, painting after the bridges are assembled. In the case of the Shenaminy Creek trestle it took hours to paint. All those nooks and crannies. I installed it and you know I just had to stage some photos...
Twin Hustlers and Ore Train, Gas Electric Cross Shenaminy Creek


The Bridges at Quotidian

There's a second Travis Hustler now. This one took a bit of tweaking. I purposely built it lower, hoping to get it low enough to fit the actual Hustler shell. The size of the pulley cancels that idea. I ended up adding a spacer to make it taller. After I got it running I took some video...
Travis Drive Hustlers

I need boxcab shells for the Hustlers, something that resembles the "oil electic" diesels produced in the 1930's. I could kitbash a few of the Athearn shells. I could also try again to find a Cary shell, but I'm trying to build them from scratch. I've taken several shots at it, but I'm not satisfied with the results so far. Window openings are unsquare. parts don't fit nicely, just general poor appearance. Practice, practice practice...
"Travis" Boxcab Shell


Starting on some of the scenery. Using scraps of foam I'm slowly building the terrain. A big part of the process will be the town itself. I'm building it on a workbench. The entire town will be on a piece of 2" foam I can drop into place.  I tried laying the town out on paper but couldn't get the "feel" of it. Ended up but creating a paper template of the area available and laying it out with real buildings, mock-ups and track. The viaduct is virtually finished and the overall appearance of Quotidian has changed a bit...
Engine Terminal and ACME Manufacturing

"Skyline" of Quotidian

Trackside

I completed the branch somewhat. Had to realign one curve that was so tight the Hustlers derailed. I also had to smooth out the grade between Shenaminy Creek and the Split River. This area is now called "the hump"...
Realigned Curve Before Viaduct
Shims to Ease Grade at "The Hump"


Trackage is complete enough to actually run a train. The train is short, only four cars and a caboose. Good thing too. In spite of the reduced grade and an additional 2 ounces added to the weight of each locomotive it still requires both boxcabs to conquer the hump...
First Q Co. Train

Regards,
Frank Musick

No comments:

Post a Comment