Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Dismantlefication

The dismantling process started last week. The first step was to tear the Average section apart...
Step 1: Hollow Mountain

Clarks Summit: Empty Roadbed

Split River Bed, Neked Right of Way

Should have left the bare roadbed intact. New hobby idea...Modeling Rails & Trails.

Destroying Average yielded a 7' section of benchwork that was under the Split River... 
7 Feet of new Average
Another 8' section needs to be built. The two sections will be bolted together, It will make them easier to move in the future

Benchwork Removed: Top of the Bookcase
You can see the growing pile of debris in the aisle at the left of the photo. It's time to go at the bookcase. I had to move these...
Fifteen Feet of Books

Pile O' Books
Fortunately the 2" x 4" frame is aturdy. Must be several hundred pounds of paper there.

I forgot to take a picture of the "disassembled" bookcase. Needless to say there was quite a bit of broken wood filling the aisle. I filled the Ranger's 6 foot bed with scenery, styrofoam, and flakeboard. The bookcase and attached benchwork served as a kind of anchor for the layout. The other sections are mounted on casters. Without the book case they tend to move a bit when leaned on.

I laid the indispensable parts of the layout on the Owertown section. Trains, tools, controllers, DCC system, scenery items and a host of other paraphenalia...
Owertown
I've learned the hard way that model trains, especially N scale model trains, have a tendency to migrate to the garage floor. This migration, often as not, has little to no effect on the concrete. It does. however, take quite a toll on the migratee. I don't keep the little plastic boxes the trains come in, and many of them never had boxes to begin with. Even if I did keep them I would still need a place to put a jillion boxes full of rolling stock. I chose to make my own storage boxes. I purchased a few plastic storage containers and lined them with foam my wife had left over from upholstery projects. A bit of tacky glue to hold the foam together and Voila!!! Some place to keep things like this out of the parts bin...
Lehigh & New England #705 ALCo FA1 A-B Set

Train Storage

Sharks, Steam & Cabeese

I probably could put foam between the items, but the foam does a good job of keeping things in place. As long as the box is handled carefully, IE not dropped or thrown across the room, they should do the job. I need about four or more for the rest of the rolling stock.

That's it so far.

Regards,
Frank Musick

Building a dream layout on a nightmare budget
The Average Eastern Railroad

No comments:

Post a Comment