Sunday, December 14, 2014

Owertown Transit and Other Things

Going in several directions at once. I'm adding colors to the scenery. I mix Rit dye into the drywall compound rather than using paint...
B&O Sharks Rounding Clark's Summit

CNJ Babyface Along the Split River 

The colors are very subtle in the images so it may be hard to see any difference. Rock faces are gray, balance of scenery is green or tan. "Real" scenic materials like grass, dirt and rock carvings will cover this base. Thinking of cutting down that peak towering above the train.

I'm working on wiring turnouts using sub-mini DPDT switches. I've been doing this at the workbench. The idea is to create an assembly I can drop into place...
Switch Throw Wiring

Switch Throw Support

The turnouts in the photos are Atlas, but most will be hand laid. The plan calls for over 40 so the cost of "store bought" turnouts would be prohibitive.

Freight cars are readily avaible since they can originate from any road. I need more local equipment from the modeled roads. The AE suffers from a dearth of more passenger equipment. The cars on hand are lettered for Illinois Central, AT&SF and Burlington. I stripped most of them so they can be repainted for LV, PRR, B&O etc...
Passenger Equipment

That jug in the background is brake fluid. I've found that on this batch I can leave them soak for days without damaging the plastic. I don't warm it up as some suggest. The fluid has been reused over and over and over.

I got a chance to paint some equipment for the Owertown Traction Co. The "expansive" roster includes a PCC car and a Transit bus. The PCC is a lowered Bachmann. The bus is one of Brian Federoff's excellent resin models...





O'Town Mockup
Regards,
Frank Musick

Building a dream layout on a nightmare budget
The Average Eastern Railroad








No comments:

Post a Comment