Monday, September 1, 2014

With Apologies To The Pennsy Fans

All tracks are laid on the four track Class 1. I had only a few feet to go but got stuck on solving the decal thingy. Today I took a couple of hours to finish up the track work. Then I started running test trains on all four tracks. Test trains in this instance meaning locomotives running light. The 2-10-0 was moved to Track 4, the one with the tightest radii. Aside from cleaning the rails there were very few problems. There were some derailments. A short section of Track 2 was out of guage at Clark's Summit. The rail had popped out of the little clips on the tie strip. I snapped it back in place and trains ran fine. I left them unattended for several minutes and nothing went wrong. So far so good...


Now if only I could learn how to use a camera

I apologize to any of the Pennsy fans who take exception to the Erie power. I have PRR diesels but
A...most of them are in for repairs
B...I felt like running my Erie units.

Not sure where to go now. Normally I would start laying track on the other areas. I'm mulling over the idea of working in the Average area for a while before moving on. Put more work into scenery and the Average Eastern yard and engine facilities. I could still lay track on other parts of the layout at my leisure. Still pondering the options...
The Average Eastern Track Plan


I'm a tad annoyed that I cannot nail down this decal project. I know I can use the emulsion screens as a mask for airbrushing, I've done it.
It Should Work!!!
Aside from getting the painting technique straightened out it should work!!! I ran out of PhotoEZ so I'll have to order some more to keep experimenting. Hopefully I can solve this.

Since I wasn't getting anywhere on the decals I went back to painting locomotive shells. I cleaned all those shades of orange and blue off the F7's. I started to spray the Jersey Central units with Tamiya's acrylic orange and wasn't happy. Under the magnifier I could see flaws in the finish. The first try I got lumps. I cleaned off the shell, used thinned paint and got an eggshell finish. Arrrgh! I did not have this issue with the Model Master orange enamel I used originally. Rather than screw with paint mixing, I'm gonna shoot the CNJ units with the enamel.

Despite all that trains are running again. The Average Eastern is looking like a model railroad again (at least parts of it are). It's all good.

Regards,
Frank Musick

Building a dream layout on a nightmare budget
The Average Eastern Railroad





No comments:

Post a Comment